This wooden multi-storeyed townhouse is a typical Maratha mansion, once the residence of Bhau Tambekar, Diwan of Baroda (1849–54). Inside are some beautiful but decaying 19th-century murals, many featuring Krishna and European subjects.
Tambekar Wada is a spacious, four-storey building that has been constructed in an oblong fashion. It is originally the former residence of the Baroda State Diwan or Minister, Bhau Tambekar, who owned the responsibility of the administration of the state. The walls, doors and ceilings on the first and second floors of this old fashion building are adorned with the best specimens of mural paintings dating back to 17th and 18th centuries.Other wall paintings dating back to the first half of the 19th century represent epic scenes depicting the life of the people. As the paintings have been made by some careless people, most of them had to be restored by the Archaeological Survey of India. The ASI still attend to the chemical treatments of these paintings on a frequent basis.