Sir Sayajirao General Hospital (S.S.G.H/SSG) Vadodara was started in Year 1865 as the 56 bedded Countess of Dufferin Hospital. The hospital was built in 1886, replacing the old State Hospital from the Lady Dufferin Fund. It was opened to commemorate the visit of the Viceroy, the Earl of Dufferin to Baroda, and was named after his wife. It was designed by Major Charles Mant (1840-81) in an Indo-Saracenic style. He was a pioneer of this style and used it in his designs for other civic and state buildings in Baroda such as the State Library and most notably the Lukshmi Villas Palace.
Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III’s first wife Maharani Chimnabai, died in a pregnancy complication in Year 1885 which prompted him to announce a state-of-the-art general hospital. On 9th November 1886 a General Hospital was built opposite Kirti Mandir and opened by Viceroy Lord Dufferin. It was designed in Jewish style it and was modeled on Pune’s Sassoon Hospital and had all facilities right from inception,including a bacteriological laboratory. It added a nursing college in Year 1896 and kept growing. And Later in Year 1936, it was named after Sir Sayajirao Gaekwad III.
The hospital was then taken over by the Government of Gujarat in Year 1907 and renamed the S.S.G Hospital after the erstwhile ruler of Vadodara (Baroda), Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III. SSG Hospital is known to be the largest referral hospital in Central Gujarat.