Faculty of Technology and Engineering – MSU (Kalabhavan)

Faculty of Technology and Engineering - MSU (Kalabhavan)

In Year 1884, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad also erected another Palace just opposite to Lukshmi Villas Palace. In Year 1891, the Palace was ready. But in Year 1892, the Palace was then given to students who were studying Science and Technology as there was no building for them. This Palace is known as KalaBhavan which is Celebrating 125 Years this Year.

The Palace is spread over 25 Acre area. This Palace was also designed by Major Charles Mant and R.F. Chisholm. It is Indo – Seranic Style and has 60 big and 30 small rooms. The Building when view viewed from top, is in ‘E’ shaped. The Porch and the Beams give the Master Style to Palace. The Stones which were used for constructing Lukshmi Vilas Palace are only used to build Kalabhavan. This Palace was built for Prince Fatehsinhrao Gaekwad who were the Eldest Son of Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad. But later, it was then given to Students.

The Building has reversed Onion shaped Dome. There are also small windows which are known as Hermes windows, which tells that the Palace was constructed for residential purpose. The design of Porch, windows are also excellent. There are Lotus, crown and other flowers which are designed in Porch and some windows.

The Original Building of Kalabhavan was situated in Senapati Bhavan. But when more courses and rise in technology, then Prof. T.K. Gajjar asked Maharaja for Big Building, then Maharaja gave the Palace to Institute of Industries and Fine Arts.

Source:  DivyaBhaskar