Kalabhavan was a Temporary Palace of Maharaja at time of which Lukshmi Villas Palace was being constructed. On 10th February 1890, Kalabhavan was established. This Place is now called Senapati Bhavan and is now under the Hold of Army. It is Situated at exactly the Opposite side of Lukshmi Villas Palace’s Main Gate.
Kalabhavan (MSU Technology or Kalabhavan Technical Institute):
The Faculty of Technology & Engineering was established in 1949 by the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, as a development of the long standing institution popularly known as the Kalabhavan Technical Institute (The Temple of Arts).
The Kalabhavan Technical Institute conceived in August 1886 during a prize distribution ceremony held in the Baroda College, was started as a State Concern, in June of year 1890 by His Late Highness Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda. In its initial days it was run from the Senapati Bhavan till its building was ready for use.
It is housed in a palatial building. The building was a temporary palace of the Maharaja (king) of Baroda while his palace was being constructed. Hence is it located exactly opposite to the Lukshmi Villas Palace. The Maharaja donated the palace to open the school of engineering. It is designed in Neo-Classical Style.
The Faculty of Technology and Engineering of the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda is an engineering school in the state of Gujarat, India.
The Kala Bhavan started its activity in 1890 with the modest but novel objective of producing skilled artisans and apprentices by imparting instruction in local language in the many different fields.