Named after the first Vice Chancellor of The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Shrimati Hansa Mehta, the library opened in 1949 and presently houses nearly half a million books, periodicals, DVDs, videos and the University Archives.
Shrimati Hansa Mehta Library, the University Library of Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda was established on May 1, 1950. At the time of establishment of the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, a collection of 25,000 books belonging to the two State Libraries (Huzur Political Office and Secretariat Library) was handed over to the University Library. There were several colleges in Baroda – Baroda College (for Arts), Science Institute, Commerce College, and Secondary Teacher’s Training College etc. These colleges had libraries of their own. These libraries continued to remain as Faculty Libraries and were administered independently. Thus the University Library System was established on 1st May 1950, which was housed in the central block of Old Residency Office Building.
Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the then President of India laid down the Foundation stone of Shrimati Hansa Mehta Library of The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda on 16th November 1954.
The Library has been awarded the Best Library award by Indian Library Association in 2004.
Shrimati Hansa Mehta Library also has a well equipped Air-Conditioned Seminar Room with multimedia facility, LCD, corldless microphone system having a capacity to accomodate 35 participants, revolving chairs and a pantry adjacent to the room.
Read More on Official Website of Shrimati Hansa Mehta Library – www.hmlibrary.ac.in