Situated opposite Pologround, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III made a Stable for Royal Chariots, Horses and Cars. The Place is called Stable (Bagikhana). It has more than 100+ small & big rooms and 6 gates (5 small & 1 big Main entrance gates). Stable was opened on 1 October 1913. And it was the Royal Garage for many years. The Stable also has 4 big towers which were used to see behaviors of nearby areas and also inside of Stable.
The Bagikhana (Stable) has finished 100+ years of now. People often call it Bagikhana. The Golden Ambari, Golden Carriage and Golden Canons were housed in old days. The Construction work begun on 1st April 1909 and completed on 1st October 1913. It was erected by Maharaja H.H. Shri Sayajirao Gaekwad III, G.C.S.I, Sena Khas Khel Shamsher Bahadur. The Architect, Chief Engineer & Designer was A.H. Coyle.
The rooms in stable are as big that chariots of 6 horses can be parked there. Also there is a Royal Garage at backside area of Stable. It is said that, at time Sayajirao had more than 120 Royal Cars and 200 horses. 4 Big Towers were also erected at corners of Stable and also a Pond was erected for drinking water for animals.
The Peshvas gave Baroda State a limit of 6 Horse Chariots. So the stable too had that type of Rooms which fitted 6 horses’ chariot. There are many Khand (classes) like Ashva Khand, Bagi Khand, Lavaj Khand, Yaantrik Khand & Sevak Khand, Aishwarya Khand were also part of stable and are situated near left and right side of Entrance Gate. The Golden Chariot and Arms/Weapons were put in Lavaj Khand. Aishwarya Khand was Dev Khand, in which during festival time like Dussehra, Arms and Horses were prayed.
Interesting fact is there was also a 12-Horsed Chariot which was made by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III. There were also Victoria housed.
Today this Stable houses Baroda High School, Bagikhana more famously known as BHS, a English Medium School located near PoloGround, Vadodara (Baroda). The School is managed by the Baroda Lions Club Education Trust.
The school was provided land on lease by Maharaja Fatehsingh Rao Gaekwad at token of Rs 1.
* Baroda High School was one of the first co-educational English Medium Schools of Gujarat.
More Baroda High Schools were also made:
– In 1964 Baroda School, ONGC was opened on the ONGC premises to meet the needs of the organisation.
– In 1974, the government of Gujarat allotted a plot of land in Alkapuri and Baroda High School, Alkapuri was started.
– In 1996, Baroda High School, Danteshwar was started. All the schools are English medium and co-educational schools, and have Pre-Primary, Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary sections.