Built in 1890 & located opposite to Juma Masjid, it was a grand mansion built by Baburao Gaekwad (Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III’s uncle).
The design of this building resembles to Baroda College (now Faculty of Arts – MSU), which is made of exposed bricks & sandstones.
The mansion was named after Vitthalrao, son of Baburao Gaekwad, who come to live in Baroda in 1875. Vitthalrao & his wife Pannabai used to stay in this mansion with thier 4 sons & 3 daughters.
Vitthalrao were given rank of ‘Mankari Sardar’ by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III & were also in-charge of Gardens & Parks of Princely Baroda State.
Currently, a part of this mansion is demolished & other part lies in shambles. If it is not refurbished or taken care, it will be soon vanished from city’s heritage buildings!